Monday, March 24, 2014

You Who Came From The Stars ★

Posted by BTS Rkive at Monday, March 24, 2014
You Who Came From The Stars 별에서 온 그대
My Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★☆ 
Genres: Sci-fi, Romantic comedy
Episodes: 21
Original run: 18 December 2013 - 27 February 2014
Starring: Jun Ji-hyun, Kim Soo-hyun, Park Hae-jin and Yoo In-na

Synopsis from Viki

Can an alien understand a modern Korean woman? Do Min Joon (Kim Soo Hyun) is an alien in the form of a perfect human specimen who arrived on Earth 400 years ago during the Chosun Dynasty. While living among the inferior human species, Min Do has always been cynical toward his human neighbors. But in modern-day Korea, Min Do meets top actress Cheon Song Yi (Gianna Jun) and falls in love with her. Can the cross-species couple possibly have a future together? “You Who Came From the Stars,” also known as “Man From the Stars,” is a 2013 South Korean drama series directed by Jang Tae Yoo.

My Thoughts:

I was really excited and impatient for this drama to come out. As soon as I saw the promo, I was completely intrigued. Neadless to say, I watched this drama weekly instead of marathoning the whole thing once it finished airing (which is what I usually do).

I really like the idea that was used for You Who Came From The Stars even though it isn't original, this is still the first korean alien drama I've ever watched.

Do Min-Joon is an alien who's lived in our planet for over 400 years and is eagerly awaiting to go back to where he came from. Now, only 3 months are left and he has done a great job on being aloof, not getting involved with other people's lives. But when he meets Cheon Song-Yi an A-list actress, he can't help but be curious about her, as he discovers that she looks exactly like someone he's met back in the Joseon era.

Do Min-Joon has some pretty awesome abilities that I wouldn't mind having for myself. He can freeze time, move things with his will and he can also teleport to anywhere he wants within a blink of an eye (Yeah. I know. Just like Goku :P). However, he never uses these abilities to save or help people as you'd expect him to. He believes that a person's destiny is already written; if something's supposed to happen, it will. Though it's amusing to watch him use his powers whenever Cheon Song-Yi's in danger (the poor guy just can't help it).
On the other hand we have Cheon Song-Yi who's a funny and silly character. She's a top celebrity that keeps bragging about how "everyone" loves her when really no one does. In fact when she gets into a difficult situation only a few stayed by her side. 

There are a few unrequited love going on in this drama that I didn't really like. Lee Whi-Kyung and Yoo Se-Mi's one-sided love didn't seem believable. I think that when you've loved someone for so long and that person still doesn't love you back, you just have to let him/her go. You can always find someone else to love if you truly want to.

Aside from that, I think the side characters and the villain were pretty enjoyable to watch. What I really love though, was the romance between Do Min-Joon and Cheon Song-Yi. They are so cute and good together.

Even though it lacked of originality, this drama did an amazing job on mixing lots of different aspects that I like (the ET reference, the Twilight 'he moved at lighting speed and saved my life' thing and the teleporting like Goku).

Overall this is a good and enjoyable rom-com drama.



My rating: 4/5 stars


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Jiha's file © 2014 - Graphics by Jiha's file

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...